On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Christian Schneider
<ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> The camel-core is already bloated anyway. I see no reason to not include
> those classes.

I may have posted the "bloated" word before which would be overstating
what I meant. What I was to say
is that camel-core-xml does not belong in camel-core, as it adds
dependency and features which the camel-core does not need.
Only the XML DSL capable components need those pieces and thus they
are in their own module. Those modules is not testable unless
you use camel-spring or camel-blueprint, and hence you would end up
with code in the camel-core which cannot be tested.

But frankly I think you are out of line and being disrespectful to the
project, the community, and the people who have
worked hard on this project. I would never call the camel-core bloated
in any negative way as you do.

The core is 1.6mb which is not bloated. In fact with the core you can
do really a lot with Camel, which impress
a lot of people, and help make the project a success it is today.

The camel-core has grown 200kb in 2.9 due that Google Code Map we
embed directly now, for improving
concurrency issues with the endpoint registry.

> The current mechanism of directly including the classes in camel-spring and
> camel-blueprint is really strange and I think having some classes in core
> that are not needed in some cases is much better then what we have now.

It is not strange. It was discussed and designed in the past. We
worked together with OSGi experts such as gnodet.
And Johan on the blueprint pieces etc.

We have two such modules:
camel-core-xml
camel-core-osgi

is core module for XML DSL and for running Camel in OSGi frameworks.

It just happens to be that both camel-spring and camel-blueprint uses
both of these two as
- camel-spring has a XML DSL and supports both plain Spring as well as Spring-DM
- camel-blueprint has a XML DSL and support OSGi blueprint.

And thus we have shared and common code for those 2 components in the
camel-core-XXX components.

> We will need to split the core anyway for 3.0 so reintegrating
> camel-core-xml would reduce the number of jars again which is good.

That is still to be decided. And to be discussed later when Camel 3.0
is starting to take form.

FuseSource
Email: cib...@fusesource.com
Web: http://fusesource.com