On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 9:44 AM Jean-Baptiste Onofré <j...@nanthrax.net>
wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> According to the vote and discussion on this thread, we don't have a
> consensus to move camel-karaf into the Karaf community.
>
> 1. As we have a decent/large number of users on Karaf running Camel routes.
> 2. As the Camel "core" community doesn't want to maintain OSGi related
> stuff in camel-core.
>
> I propose the following:
>
> 1. We keep camel-karaf at Camel (as we have camel-quarkus,
> camel-spring-boot, ..., I hope we don't have anything in camel-core
> needed/required by camel-quarkus or camel-spring-boot, else it
> wouldn't be fair for camel-karaf ;) )

Yes, camel-core is independent/neutral. There is no Spring Boot, Quarkus,
etc dependency.

camel-karaf should be maintained and released by you and others who want
and can work on camel-karaf.

We have camel-k, camel-kafka-connector, camel-karvan, and camel-quarkus
that are done in such a way,
they are maintained and released by "teams".

The camel-core team does the core + SB release together.
SB is easy to maintain and by the most used runtime with Camel.

2. Camel Core can remove OSGi related stuff (headers,
> maven-bundle-plugin, ...), we will implement a new approach in
> camel-karaf (with a custom deployer as I proposed before for
> instance).

Yes. Looking back, I really wish that Karaf had such a deployment model 10
years ago, deploying plain JARs
and maven pom's (no need for OSGi metadata). Actually looking forward to
seeing what you come up with.

> 3. I will do a complete cleanup on the camel-karaf main branch,
> already upgrading to camel 4 to prepare camel-karaf 4.

Okay

@davsclaus