Hi all.
In version 4.0.0-M2 the camel-solr component was removed.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-19290. The task says that component
rewrite is encouraged. I took a simpler route and rebuilt the component in the
camel-4.4.x branch with SOLR version 9.6.1. The component code began to use
http 2 jetty client (used in solr 9.x). Tests are green. Next, I restored the
spring boot starter in the same branch of the camel-spring-boot repository. I
built my application using this updated spring boot starter. The application
functionality passes my tests correctly.
I have a few questions about contributing to the Apache Camel project. 1. Is
the apache camel community interested in the work done with camel-solr
component? 2. Perhaps someone else is already working on updating the
component? 3. What is the procedure for creating a pull request? For which
branches should I do it? 4. Is there an incubation stage? It is possible that
an updated component will require such a stage even though it is an update to
existing code. 5. What is the code review process? Is it possible to consult
with someone whether I am going the right way?
Questions specifically regarding the implementation of the update. 1. One of
the Jira issues suggested using testcontainers. There is no point in doing
this. The current testcontainers solr image does not support the cloud
structure. The solr developers themselves do not use testcontainers in their
tests. 2. The default is now http 2 jetty client. Should I try to rewrite the
component to default using the old apache http client and conditionally using
the new http2 clientl? 3. I will need to additionally check and update the
component parameters. 4. Restoring and updating component documentation.
Thank you all for the wonderful product Apache Camel.
Slava Domrachev.