The situation today is that network compatibility in trunk has been
broken without us noticing for a while now -- in CASSANDRA-956
(according to git annotate) we changed ColumnFamily serialization in a
non-backwards-compatible way.

Given the difficulty on the client side of mixing 0.6 and 0.7, most
sites are going to end up doing a Big Bang upgrade anyway.  So is it
really worth a lot of effort on the network protocol side?