On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Gary Dusbabek <gdusba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:05, Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The situation today is that network compatibility in trunk has been
>> broken without us noticing for a while now -- in CASSANDRA-956
>> (according to git annotate) we changed ColumnFamily serialization in a
>> non-backwards-compatible way.
>>

> 956 was all about streaming, not CF serialization.  Still, it breaks
> network compatibility with respect to streaming.  The IClock changes
> were more likely to have broken CF serialization.

In ColumnFamilySerializer the very first thing we used to read/write
the CF name, and now we read/write a boolean as to whether the CF is
null instead.  That is from r947122:

remove name field from cf and clean up. Patch by Stu Hood, reviewed by
Gary Dusbabek. CASSANDRA-956

Perhaps the issue number was a typo, but either way it is logically an
extension of the CF id changes from CASSANDRA-827 so it makes more
sense to think of that as the culprit here.

There may well be other problems deeper in as you say.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra