On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:07 AM, matthew hawthorne
<mhawtho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello,
>
> I'm starting a project at my day job to deploy a gossip protocol
> implementation.  part of my initial work is to evaluate existing
> implementations.
>
> being loosely familiar with Cassandra, I read
> http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/ArchitectureGossip and have looked
> over the related code a bit.
>
> is there interest in breaking out the gossip-related portions of
> Cassandra into a library that could be reused by other projects?  I
> work on a team that is ready and willing to contribute heavily.  we'd
> just need some guidance as to how to structure the Cassandra
> subcomponent(s) and properly integrate them with the builds, tests,
> etc.

I think breaking gossip out could be very valuable. Gossip is a
somewhat under-understood and under-tested part of Cassandra.
Isolating it could help both of those situations. Ideally we'd not
change the normal build procedure for cassandra, but add a new target
for building a gossip library.

> here are a few examples of functionality we're looking to add:
>
> 1) hierarchical state - our use case is cross data center gossip,
> where we don't want every node in the 2 clusters communicating, but do
> want a node from cluster1 to send a summary of the cluster's state to
> cluster2, and vice versa.  essentially I'm talking about rolling up
> the state of multiple nodes into a single "virtual" node

I'd be interested in seeing the analysis here. There are some
challenging problems with having only one host do something in a
gossip based system.

> 2) mutual authentication - nodes verifying the identity of other nodes
> before gossipping
>
> 3) encryption - encrypted traffic, especially for the cross data center case
>
> any opinions on this? thanks in advance for any feedback!

-ryan