On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 19:35 -0600, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> Way back in Nov 09, we did a users survey and asked what features
> people wanted to see.  Here was my summary of the responses:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cassandra-user@incubator.apache.org/msg01446.html
>
> Looking at that, we've done essentially all of them.  I think we can
> make a strong case that our next release should be 1.0; it's
> production ready, it's reasonably feature-complete, it's documented,
> and we know what our upgrade path story is.

-0

I've said it elsewhere, but the only reason to fuss about a 1.0, is that
it is loaded with special meaning.  To impart some vague notion of
readiness on people who should be paying less attention to a number, and
doing more due diligence.  Feels like pandering to me, or cargo-culting.

I'd rather drop the leading the 0 and continue to number releases
sequentially the way we have.  If our < 1 versioning is signaling a lack
of readiness, and if >= 1 is a necessary gate, then 8.0 should work
equally as well.  Better in fact, 8 times better!

--
Eric Evans
eev...@rackspace.com