Releasing a 2.2 now is indeed a good idea, +1 to that.

Regarding EOLs, however, there I don’t feel like dropping the planned 3.0.x
stabilisation branch is necessary.

I’d also say that having both 2.1.x and 2.2.x LTS branches is both 1) very
cheap for us and 2) is not really needed.

Here is why:

1) The new features in 2.2 don’t modify the core heavily - unlike 3.0 would.
Hence 2.1 patches almost always apply cleanly to trunk, not causing us
headaches as developers

2) New features being almost entirely opt-in, if you don’t use them, you can
jump from 2.1 to 2.2 without significant stability degradation. It’s only the
new features, in this case, that require stabilising. Messaging formats haven’t
changed, sstable format is the same, the storage engine has had no
modifications.

So, maintaining both 2.1 and 2.2 LTS branches, while cheap for us, is
unnecessary, and would cause avoidable fragmentation.

3.0, however, will require a stabilisation period, just by the nature of it. It
might seem like 2.2 and 3.0 are closer to each other than 2.1 and 2.2 are, if
you go purely by the feature list, but in fact the opposite is true.

So I’d suggest a third EOL alternative. We leave the planned 3.0.x
stabilisation branch in place - we are going to need it. And we have the new
2.2 branch inherit 2.1’s LTS status, and retire 2.1 itself earlier than
planned. In other words,

1) 2.0.x branch goes EOL when 3.0 is out, as planned
2) 3.0.x LTS branch stays, as planned, and helps us stabilise the new storage
engine
3) in a few months after 2.2 gets released, we EOL 2.1. Users upgrade to 2.2,
get the same stability as with 2.1.7, plus a few new features

With that addition, +100 to the idea of having a 2.2 ASAP.

--
AY