We still include both processes in our how to contribute, but github is the
new preferred method (thanks for the reminder to update that doc)

https://github.com/apache/thrift/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

and an example of the cross commenting: THRIFT-3876 with matching PR 1045

https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1045