Why do we have to assume random assignment?

Because token allocation only works once you have a node in RF racks. If
you don't bootstrap nodes in alternating racks, or just never have RF racks
setup (but more than one rack) it's going to be random.

Whatever default we choose should be a safe choice, not the best for
experts. Making it safe (4 as the default would be great) shouldn't be
difficult, and I thought Joey was building a  list of related issues?

Seeing these issues put together summarised would really help build the
consensus IMHO.