Chris's original patch used a virtual table which didn't even require a
protocol change.  To me, the difference between having a CQL describe vs a
virtual table is unimportant, since it's only drivers that need to care
about it.  I'm completely fine with the simpler implementation of a virtual
table.

Quite a bit of Chris's patch also fixes our broken server side CQL
generation, something that affects correctness in our snapshots.  So either
way most of the code needs to go in before we release 4.0.  Adding a single
file that creates a new virtual table is so trivial I'm having a hard time
understanding the opposition.