On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 5:10 PM Joshua McKenzie <jmcken...@apache.org>
wrote:

> >  If we're talking day to day
> > maintenance, so the bulk of the work really, then I feel rather confident
> > saying that you are wrong,
>
> You're confidently responding to something I wasn't trying to say. :) I may
> not have communicated clearly. I was attempting to enumerate:
>
>    1. New feature development will likely require coordination between
>    server and drivers (i.e. driver changes are required to support new
>    features in server)
>    2. Future roadmap for the core server and drivers will likely overlap
>    (see #1)
>    3. CEP's for 1 and 2, assuming one accepts the assertion that features
>    require driver changes, mean CEP's will have components of both
>    4. Independent architectural or API changes in the drivers will likely
>    impact the server, and thus also require coordination. Especially with
>    drivers being nested and used extensively in cqlsh, tests, etc.
>
> I was not speaking to the day to day maintenance of the projects but rather
> the larger feature-level, roadmap, architectural planning of them. I would
> not expect day to day maintenance to intersect with the governance of the
> projects on a regular basis.

As often, disagreement is more often than not a communication issue. I
apologize
for not doing a better job at understanding your points (and apologize for
my less
than optimal phrasing on that sentence).

But hopefully the rest of my email had also clarified that I do not
disagree with the
general roadmapping and project planning to be common (for drivers and
server).
In fact, I'm in favor of that. That's why I suggesting a single "Apache"
project, not
to incubate different ones in particular.

But I also want us to ensure that whatever change of organization we make
while
accepting the drivers does not make the day-to-day maintenance harder. And
again, at that level, I think server and driver are more different than
they are same,
so some separation a "some" level is likely necessary. I'll refer to my
previous email
for where I'd personally keep things separated and were I wouldn't.

--
Sylvain