> > With regards to CEPs, I personally don't see any value in voting to
start
> one.
>
> Agree with this, and I'd go even further - requiring a vote in order to
> propose an idea runs so counter to the idea of a CEP that it would default
> the purpose of even having them.  The CEP is the _proposal_ for a change
> that gets fleshed out enough so people can understand the idea and _then_
> vote on it, not the other way around.

Totally agree that CEPs should be as light-weight as possible, and with the
sentiments above. But would also like to keep the discussion open to
encourage and include as many voices as possible.

My _questioning_ is around the value in "initial exposure and discussion".
It is implied already that there is lazy consensus in starting a CEP, and
that starting a CEP is more than just an initial proposal of an idea. One
example is we require a CEP to have a Shepherd that is a PMC member.
Encouraging a vote, or better-yet keeping it light-weight: an initial
DISCUSS thread as early as possible in the CEP lifecycle does come with
value. From openly calling out for a Shepherd, to allowing the more
experienced community members to add their insight (without having to get
formally involved in it), there's potential value in encouraging such
open-mode opening discussion early on (versus the cost of additional
process).

Really interested in hearing from folk from other communities and projects
that do CEP/CIP and how their lifecycle through the process works and what
they have learnt.