I believe that the Test and Documentation Plan field is required too early
in the progress for Documentation needs. It is mandatory to move a ticket
to "In Progress". I suspect that, while a developer may say something in
this field, they won't really be sure of the doc impact at that stage.

I would find it useful to have a mandatory Doc Impact field before a ticket
moves from "In Progress" to "Patch Available". The design and
implementation of the code work will be uppermost at that point, when the
developer has finally made the code changes.

I see tickets that have wonderful design docs early in the process. But as
the work progresses, the design changes, and those changes are not captured
in any summary manner.

For instance, I'm currently working to rewrite audit logging (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-12151). Weeding through 4
years of comments and changes is challenging. If the developer had marked
Doc Impact and perhaps written some Doc Notes right before "Patch
Available", I'd feel much more confident that I understand what the
submitted change is. For some development, I can look at the code and
figure out what it does. A topic like audit logging is likely to use many
classes and touch on many items that I'm not familiar with nor be the most
readable code.

Lorina Poland