this is the basis of argument,

This is incorrect. The basis of the argument was Mick's point of view he
expressed as an individual on the project, which is that projects that turn
away contributions or try and force people into contributing in certain
ways are not long for this world. A very basic logical argument with a lot
of individual experience backing it up; anecdata I felt it appropriate to
share knowing there are limitations on how much detail I can disclose. Also
not consistent with the Apache Way, as Jeff pointed out.

You keep trying to bend this to a discussion about my credibility and about
DataStax' incentives. If you think I'm lying to try and shift the project,
please say so and stop hiding behind terms like "mythical" or
"hypothetical".

This is individuals on the project who care deeply about its welfare with
points of view that strongly differ from yours, *as individual humans.*

Much like another *individual human and committer *coming out of the
woodwork to open up a bunch of tickets this week for post 4.0.

Much like me waking up to Brandon this morning with him choosing to do
this *because
he as a human being is worried about the long-term health of the project.*

Feel free to engage with us as the individual humans we are. Please stop
trying to turn this discussion into an argument between talking heads
advocating for what their respective companies are coercing them to do. We
in the Cassandra engineering community are fortunate enough that our skills
are in very high demand; in all likelihood people are working where they
are because they share philosophical perspectives with the people they work
with, not because of some top-down institutional mandate on them.

For what it's worth, when I engage with other people working on large forks
that want to bring their features back to the project, the absolute last
thing I want to do to them is throw them into email threads like this.
Fewer and fewer people have the appetite to deal with this bickering and
exposing anyone new to this seems like a guaranteed way to turn them away
from the project for good.

Jordan: thanks for providing that context - it's quite helpful. Was that
aspect of the conversation captured and shared with the rest of the project
on the mailing list? It's a shame if not, since that may have contributed
quite a bit to misalignment and misunderstanding over time.