> Does anybody know what are the practicalities/hurdles
> that users can face when upgrading and what is the expected cost of keeping
> support for 2.7 until the next major?

Given that the code supports both, the only barrier to the user is "does my
distro have python3 (most likely), or would I have to install it?".

The cost of keeping support is a small amount of drag as we consider fixing
bugs and maintaining compatibility. It's not huge, but I don't see a lot of
reasons to incur it.

I want to emphasize here: to my way of thinking, "dropping support" at this
juncture is just a matter of documenting it, and maybe introducing a
warning. We don't need to *remove* support for python2. It will continue to
work as-is. This would just guide us in deciding whether to work on flaws
that are python2-specific, and whether new things are developed with
backwards compatibility as a forcing concern.

I'll have to catch up on the other ticket and see what bearing it has on
this discussion.

--
Adam Holmberg
e. adam.holmb...@datastax.com