On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 12:09 PM Adam Holmberg
<adam.holmb...@datastax.com> wrote:
> I want to emphasize here: to my way of thinking, "dropping support" at this
> juncture is just a matter of documenting it, and maybe introducing a
> warning. We don't need to *remove* support for python2. It will continue to
> work as-is. This would just guide us in deciding whether to work on flaws
> that are python2-specific, and whether new things are developed with
> backwards compatibility as a forcing concern.

Actually, I think we have to go a little bit further, and at least as
far as packaging is concerned, remove support for python2.  Recently
pip updated to 21.0 and removed python2 support, which broke any
builds that built artifacts requiring pip.  We now pin pip:
https://github.com/apache/cassandra-builds/commit/54c45a9bcf9b36a3f78b7d773eaf1067483b49b8
to get around this, but highlights that we too need to move away from
anything using python2.  So while we would not modify code to *remove*
python2 support, you would have to invoke python2 on the code in your
own way, since the packages would depend on python3.