I think authenticating a receiving node is important, but it is perhaps not in the scope of this ticket (or CEP if it becomes one). This applies to not only encrypted SSTables, but also unencrypted SSTables. A malicious node can join the cluster and send bogus requests to other nodes is a general problem not specific to the on-disk encryption.

On 16/11/2021 10:50, bened...@apache.org wrote:
I assume the key would be decrypted before being streamed, or perhaps encrypted
using a public key provided to you by the receiving node. This would permit
efficient “zero copy” streaming for the data portion, but not require any
knowledge of the recipient node’s master key(s).

Either way, we would still want to ensure we had some authentication of the
recipient node before streaming the file as it would effectively be decrypted
to any node that could request this streaming action.

From: Stefan Miklosovic <stefan.mikloso...@instaclustr.com>
Date: Tuesday, 16 November 2021 at 10:45
To: dev@cassandra.apache.org <dev@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Resurrection of CASSANDRA-9633 - SSTable encryption
Ok but this also means that Km would need to be the same for all nodes right?

If we are rolling in node by node fashion, Km is changed at node 1, we
change the wrapped key which is stored on disk and we stream this
table to the other node which is still on the old Km. Would this work?
I think we would need to rotate first before anything is streamed. Or
no?