I feel like this needs to be a discussion held on the public mailing list.
I have been running the Apache Cassandra Users group on LinkedIn for years
after taking it over from Lynn Bender.
https://www.linkedin.com/groups/3803052/

We have over 7500 members and had its ups and downs but it's been pretty
consistent as a professional resource on LinkedIn. I'm not sure what there
is to gain by creating competing groups. If we need more managers in the
group that's fine but somebody just needed to ask. It's clear that this
discussion happened somewhere else and this was just an announcement.

Patrick