re: history on merges, there's probably some incantation in idea I haven't yet
uncovered to be able to stay in one environment instead of having to jump out
to a terminal to dig into something. I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to
optimizing workflow; this may just be a Me Thing.

> Having different merge strategies in our history would be worse IMHO.
I disagree pretty strongly here. I think an "all commits are chronologically
applied to the branch, no changes are hidden inside merge commits" approach is
immediately intuitive; people would only have to know the old strategy when
they stumble across merge commits which is explicitly no worse than our status
quo.

That debatable benefit aside, not doing merge commits would also open up
options for us to use PR's for merges and integrate running CI, and blocking on
clean CI, pre-merge. Which has some other pretty big benefits. :)