Interesting, thanks for explicitly writing that down. I humbly think
the CI and the convenience of the GitHub workflow is ultimately
secondary when it comes to the code-base as such. Indeed, nice to
have, but if it turns out to be uncomfortable in other ways, I guess
we just have to live with what we have. TBH I have never seen this
kind of git merging strategy elsewhere, I am not sure if I am not
experienced enough or we are truly unique the way we do things.
However, it does make sense.