Could you be more explicit? Are you saying we should release 5.0 instead of 4.2
(which I'm assuming you're advocating for), or are you saying we should release
4.2?

I still do not understand the question, really. It can't be more important to
be consistent with versioning than for versions to mean what we want them to
communicate, but we can do well on both fronts without much additional effort.