It’s always arbitrary. We don’t bump major version when we make incompatible
behavioural changes in bug fixes, for instance. It’s always a judgement: this
release has important changes you should take a close look at. That’s all it
means.

Stuff that’s literally arbitrated is always somewhat inconsistent. Versioning
is arbitrated, by us, and even amongst the semver proponents there’s
disagreement about what it means to make a breaking change.

The most consistent thing is to drop the distinction entirely, and get rid of
major/minor.