Should the source code obey the AvoidStarImport rule?

yes

 Should we implement AvoidStarImport and CustomImportOrder in a
single pull request or do it one by one?

Technically it can be two commits which would be merged / pushed at once.

One thing which needs extra care for ordering imports is that if you order it
in IDEA by right-clicking on a package and choosing organising imports, it will
remove special comments which are put at the end of the import statement. We
need to be sure you put them back.  Look at changes in CASSANDRA-17055. We need
to preserve this.

Also, we need to be sure that the importing style can be (roughly) set in each
major IDE. (eclipse / netbeans / idea) so if we require some import style it
can be set in IDE like that. I do not know if we have any strong preference
when it comes to this but it definitely does not hurt.

Also, I see that the current import style is

java
[blank line]
com.google.common
org.apache.commons
org.junit
org.slf4j
[blank line]
everything else alphabetically

I think this is a great time to revisit this ordering. I am not particularly
persuaded on this order and why it was choosen. Where has that decision come
from?