Accord doesn’t have a hard dependency on CEP-21 fwiw, it just needs linearizable epochs. This could be achieved with a much more modest patch, essentially avoiding almost all of the insertion points of cep-21, just making sure that joining and leaving nodes update some state via Paxos instead of via gossip, and assign an epoch as part of the update.

It would be preferable to use cep-21 since it introduces this functionality, and our intention is to use cep-21 for this. But it isn’t a hard dependency.