> In accord I added an opt-out for each hook, and will require such here as well
On for main branches, off for feature branches seems like it might blanket
satisfy this concern? Doesn't fix the "--atomic across 5 branches means style
checks and build on hook across those branches" which isn't ideal. I don't
think style check failures after push upstream are frequent enough to make the
cost/benefit there make sense overall are they?

Related to this - I have sonarlint, spotbugs, and checkstyle all running inside
idea; since pulling those in and tuning the configs a bit I haven't run into a
single issue w/our checkstyle build target (go figure). Having the required
style checks reflected realtime inside your work environment goes a long way
towards making it a more intuitive part of your workflow rather than being an
annoying last minute block of your ability to progress that requires circling
back into the code.

>From a technical perspective, it looks like adding a reference
>"externalDependencies.xml" to our ide/idea directory which we copied over
>during "generate-idea-files" would be sufficient to get idea to pop up prompts
>to install those extensions if you don't have them when opening the project
>(theory; haven't tested).

We'd need to make sure the configuration for each of those was calibrated to
our project out of the box of course, but making style considerations a
first-class citizen in that way seems a more intuitive and human-centered
approach to all this rather than debating nuance of our command-line targets,
hooks, and how we present things to people. To Berenguer's point - better to
have these be completely invisible to people with their workflows and Just Work
(except for when your IDE scolds you for bad behavior w/build errors
immediately).

I still think Flags Are Bad. :)