> FYI,  devbranch (pre-commit) on ci-cassandra.a.o is hardcoded to build on
> jdk8 and jdk11
> so it's not going to work with trunk based patches…
>
> I'll review any patches to fix this, but otherwise focus is
> on CASSANDRA-18594 where a standalone jenkinsfile avoids this problem
> altogether.

To clarify this, devbranch was hardcoded to a matrix with jdk8 and jdk11,
with a hack in place to skip jdk11 for <4 branches (at run time).
Dropping jdk8 was not the cause of devbranch no longer working, it's just
not built for it.  These limitations of devbranch (and cassandra-builds)
are being addressed as part of the repeatable ci work.  Note, this does not
affect post-commit ci-cassandra.a.o pipelines (which already is testing
jdk11+17 on trunk).

So… I would like to suggest we abandon CASSANDRA-18701 and we collectively
focus on the intended replacement for this, which is the in-tree scripts
and 18594.  (It might possibly come as part of CASSANDRA-18665 which is an
intermediate ticket).

Stefan and Maxim, I think this impacts the two of you most over the next
few weeks.  In the meantime I suggest using the in-tree scripts as much as
possible, using individual stage jobs under the patches tab in
ci-cassandra.a.o (just ignoring the jdk8 axis failures), and asking others
for final pre-commit ci runs on circleci.  We're close.