On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 at 13:07, Benjamin Lerer <ble...@apache.org> wrote:

> I was asking because outside of configuration parameters and JMX calls,
> the approach as far as I remember was to just change things without using
> an annotation.

Yes, it is my understanding that such deprecation is only needed on
methods/objects that belong to some API/SPI component of ours that requires
compatibility.  This is much more than configuration and JMX, and can be
quite subtle in areas.   A failed attempt I started at this is here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CASSANDRA/%28wip%29+Compatibility+Planning

But there will also be internal methods/objects marked as deprecated that
relate back to these compatibility concerns, annotated because their
connection and removal might not be so obvious when the time comes.