Agreed with Brandon, yes. I'm at a "-0 (nb)" on a beta release at this point. We're clearly finding (and
resolving) lots of significant and in some case serious issues - ones that violate fundamental properties of the
database. I'm very glad that we're finding and fixing these, but they feel like late and lucky catches rather than
the result of a standardized and rigorous validation process. This sentiment isn't specific to a particular feature.
As of this time, I'm also not aware of a user of the project operating a build from the 5.0 branch at substantial
scale to suss out the operational side of what can be expected. If someone is running a build supporting
non-perf-test traffic derived from the 5.0 branch and has an experience report to share it would be great to read.
Compared to the rigor of our previous major release, this feels rushed and timeline-driven rather than anchored in
values of quality and data integrity. – Scott On Nov 28, 2023, at 9:20 AM, Brandon Williams <dri...@gmail.com>
wrote: If we are going to commit to beta2 before the summit because "putting a beta w/ SAI in this state into
users’ hands at summit would be very, very bad" I don't see why we need to have a subpar beta1 at all? Kind
Regards, Brandon On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 11:16 AM Mick Semb Wever <m...@apache.org> wrote: On Tue, 28 Nov 2023
at 18:06, Caleb Rackliffe <calebrackli...@gmail.com> wrote: Just to update this thread, Mike has identified the
root cause of 19011 and in the process uncovered 2 additional very closely related issues. (Fantastic job fuzzing
there!) Fixes for all three issues are in hand, and he continues to test. After some conversation w/ Mick, Alex, and
Mike, I feel like cutting a beta1 now is fine as long as we commit to a beta2 before summit that includes 19011.
Putting a beta w/ SAI in this state into users’ hands at summit would be very, very bad. In case this sounds weird,
to clarify: this is a mitigation action – there's a risk with every release that it does not make it through. beta1
might not be great for SAI, but getting it out is better than having only alpha1 available come Summit. It might feel
odd to have a beta2 right after a beta1, but I don't mind (and would rather) take the time and investment. beta1
would be announced with an appropriate disclaimer.