On reducing circle ci usage during dev while iterating, not with the intention to replace the pre-commit CI (yet), we could do away with testing only dtests, jvm-dtests, units and cqlsh for a _single_ configuration imo. That would greatly reduce usage. I hacked it quickly here for illustration purposes: https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/bereng/cassandra/1164/workflows/3a47c9ef-6456-4190-b5a5-aea2aff641f1 The good thing is that we have the tooling to dial in whatever we decide atm.

Changing pre-commit is a different discussion, to which I agree btw. But the above could save time and $ big time during dev and be done and merged in a matter of days imo.

I can open a DISCUSS thread if we feel it's worth it.