We can not support both the "rule" that new settings have the new format,
and the design goal that the CQL statement format be accepted.

We came to a compromise.
We introduced the new chunk_length parameter that requires a DataStorageSpec
We reused the CQL chunk_length_in_kb parameter to accept the CQL format.

I think this is a reasonable compromise.  We could emphasize the
chunk_length parameter in documentation changes and leave the
chunk_length_in_kb parameter to a discussion of converting CQL to YAML
configuration.
We could put in a log message that recommends the correct chunk_length
parameter based on chunk_length_in_kb value.  But I do not see a way to
support both requirements for the new format and the CQL format support.

We can deprecate the chunk_length_in_kb as soon as CQL changes to use a
DataStorageSpec for its parameter, but I do not know of any proposals to
change CQL.