On Apr 12, 2007, at 6:29 PM, Adrian Wiesmann wrote:

The legaly easiest solution would be to just extract the DataView from
Cayenne and create a new lib licenced under the ASL.

We can and should make it a standalone module within Cayenne. This means a standalone Eclipse project, separate from the rest of the framework.

But this is a hassle for the development process which I would welcome to not have. Except there is some trick to tell Eclipse to handle two separate projects as one
(debugging and compiling).

In fact it is fairly easy to develop two projects in the same workspace. Adding the M-word to the mix (ok, that's Maven :-)), makes it both more simple and more complicated. Simple, cause if you have your dependencies with sources in a local repo, you don't have to open them in Eclipse. More complicated, because you have to install those dependencies in the local repo after each change.

Just a quick question. Is the DataView still in the 3.0 bleeding edge
build? If so, we have to change the namespace anyway and there would be no
gain in making a new library.

Yes they are (but not the DVModeler). Again, my preference would be to split that code in a separate module under Cayenne.

Andrus