Thanks, Jim.

That's very helpful.   I was under the impression that GPL had
restrictions that would prevent this, but after reading through the
GPL again, I don't see anything that stands out.   I guess it'd be the
same thing as the original contributor dual licensing the code since
there's nothing in AL to prohibit it.

On 4/12/07, Jim Jagielski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Apr 12, 2007, at 11:00 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Apr 12, 2007, at 6:48 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
>
>> On 4/12/07, Adrian Wiesmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> The technicaly easiest solution would be if Cayenne agrees in our
>>> project
>>> taking exlusively (and only for our SOBF Tool) the data view
>>> source code
>>> (and dvmodeler) and relicence it under the GPL. With the
>>> condition that we
>>> dual-licence everything we do on the DataViews under the ASL.
>>> Like that we
>>> could integrate everything without the need to have a separate lib.
>>
>> It's not quite as easy as you'd think.  You have to find everyone who
>> ever worked on the DataViews code, and individually get them to
>> relicense the code to you.   The Cayenne project (nor the ASF) cannot
>> relicense the code as we don't have the right to do that.   Both the
>> project and ASF can only use the code as it was licensed to them by
>> the individuals involved.
>

> That's a good explanation of how things work.

Not sure I'm completely sure of what the main point here,
but the way the AL is constructed is that someone could,
if they wished, take AL-licensed code and relicense it
under the GPL, or any other license they wanted. They
would simply need to adhere to the specification in
section 4 of the AL.