On 27/10/2014 6:11pm, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Heh, so we are the pioneers of Java 7 on Mac with japp-maven-plugin [1] and
> CayenneModeler :)

We moved our project over to
https://bitbucket.org/infinitekind/appbundler/overview since that solves a few
issues for us compared to the stagnated oracle bundler. Note there is also this
maven wrapper which is similar to the thing you wrote:

https://github.com/federkasten/appbundler-plugin

>> > Many (most?) Swing apps on OSX seem to have stuck with Java 6, perhaps
>> > because of the difficulty of explaining to users why they need to run a
>> > different bundle.
> While I am not familiar with full stats on this, it is actually quite easy to
> ship a JRE (7 or 8) with your Swing app and make it independent of the
> underlying system Java if you don't mind adding an extra 150MB to the
> download. Not saying *we* should do it, just a general observation.

Yes; it isn't quite as bad as 150Mb since you just need the JRE which is only a
third of that. But it still seems clunky.

>> > As for the cayenne library itself... from a personal point of view I've
>> > moved everything to Java 7 so it doesn't affect me, but I don't think
>> > Cayenne is the type of library that should move too fast. What do we gain
>> > by moving? I can't think of anything in Java 7 that would help us. And it
>> > will disenfranchise some users.
> While I'd love to start using diamond syntax and try-with-resources in our
> own code, the reason I am advocating the switch is mainly testing and support
> costs. We are to start supporting Java 8 as a separate module soon (datetime
> classes for instance). This means dev environment will switch to Java 8,
> making it easier to mess things up in non-Java8 modules. Java 7 is somewhat
> closer to 8, making it somewhat more manageable.
>
> Also this is a bit of a projection based on our history, I'd say 4.0 beta is
> 1 year away, and 4.0 final is probably 2 years away. So there's hope that no
> one will remember Java 6 by then.
>
> Maybe while we continue this conversation here, I should cross-post to user
> and also start a poll on Twitter (?)

Sure, why not. Note that Hibernate (for comparison) only moved to Java 6 as a
minimum with version 4.x (released 2012). Hibernate 3.x worked back to Java 4.

On the other hand, those users can always stay on Cayenne 3.x. Some of the new
features are probably more compelling for someone starting a new project rather
than someone refactoring all the queries in their application to the new syntax.

Ari

--
Aristedes Maniatis