From: Vladimir Popovski [mailto:vladi...@zadarastorage.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:05 AM
To: cloudstack
Cc: mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com; Edison Su
Subject: Storage Subsystem 2.0 plugin docs

Hi All,

Thank you for a great work on CloudStack! We are interested in integrating CS
with our storage system and started to look at your documentation and
storage-related code. I see that Mike from SolidFire started working on
something similar some time ago and Edison even created an empty plugin for it
(in Nov'12?).

We have couple of questions related to that:

-          Is there any documentation about plugins (except of
https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/storage-subsystem-20.html)

[Edison] There are not much docs about the plugins other than the above link.
See below.

-          Are there any exemplary plugins for primary & secondary datastores?
Was the SolidFire plugin ever finished?

[Edison] yesterday, I checked in some code to separate existing cloudstack
storage code into a standalone maven project, called:
cloud-plugin-storage-volume-default, which can give you an example how a
storage plugin will look like.

-          How to activate a new plugin and use it (at least through CLIs/APIs)

[Edison] First, put a bean configuration in
client/tomcatconf/componentContext.xml.in for your plugin provider class, like:

<bean id="ClassicalPrimaryDataStoreProvider"
class="org.apache.cloudstack.storage.datastore.provider.CloudStackPrimaryDataStoreProviderImpl">

  </bean>

Second, when adding a data store into cloudstack, with an extra parameter in
createstoragepoolcmd: provider=your-provider-name, liststorageproviderscmd can
list all the registered providers in mgt server.

-          How to integrate it with the UI
 There is no UI part of example code for storage yet, the idea is to use
pluggable
UI(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/UI+Plugin+Tutorial),
for each storage provider may need a separate UI to add a storage. For example,
in adding primary storage ui, there will be a drop down list, show all the
registered providers, if user selects one of the drop down list, then UI will
pop up a diagram, based on providers' pluggable ui, then user can type whatever
information needed for a storage(e.g. nfs server, nfs path, if its nfs). At the
end, UI will call createstoragepoolcmd to register a storage into cloudstack.
Thanks,
-Vladimir

-------
Vladimir Popovski