On 03/30/2013 04:02 PM, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
One of the things that helped me quite a bit With the CentOS stuff was
that I created a VM with agent/management server running in it. I set
up a 4.0 system with an advanced zone, pulled down the source code
into it, and then took a copy of the VM. Then I ran through the
upgrade process 10 or 15 times, testing, making note of what was
missing, rolling back and then trying again, slowly building a patch
for the cloud.spec. With the database upgrade and everything else that
needs to be done, it's really hard to roll back a real environment and
try the upgrade again from scratch.

I did the same with the Deb packaging, I have a couple of VMs where I test all of this.

At this point upgrading CentOS is just installing the new RPMs along
with a few new dependencies, restarting the services, and restarting
the system vms so they get upgraded software. Your e-mail has prompted
me to want to create a wiki though, in case anything goes wrong,
unless upgrade notes will be released somewhere in particular. Just a
place to put upgrade tips like "Old configs will be moved from
/etc/cloud to /etc/cloud.rpmsave" in case something does need to be
moved manually by the admin.

The problem is that we are moving files from location to location and we don't simply want to do all of that without telling the admin what is going on.

I'll try to do as much as I can in the packages and pre- and post-installation files, but I'll leave the "scary work" to the admins.

The big warning should say: BACKUP YOUR DATABASE before continuing.

So yes, the packages should do all the heavy lifting, but some guidance would be nice for a lot of users I think.

Wido