Hi All,

Currently CloudStack does not offer a flexible pluggable framework for users to
easily integrate and configure any 3rd-party object stores for such backup
services as registering templates, taking snapshots, etc. Along with Edison's
recent refactored storage subsystem 2.0 that mainly refactored current
CloudStack primary storage implementation,  we are proposing to develop a
storage backup object store plugin framework to allow CloudStack to
systematically manage and configure various types of backup data stores from
different vendors, like NFS, S3, Swift, etc. With this new plugin framework, we
would like to achieve following functionalities:
1. Support different object store providers in a uniform and pluggable fashion.
2. Enable region wide object backup using S3-like object store.
3. Provide pluggable data motion strategies to handle data transfer from one
data store to another data store.
4. Provide a scalable cache storage framework while moving data between primary
storage and backup storage for certain hypervisor needs.
5. Support flexible combinations of primary storage, secondary storage and
hypervisors, such as (NFS, NFS, Xen), (NF3, S3, Vmware), (ISCSI, Swift, KVM),
…., etc.
The proposed ImageStore plugin framework architecture is detailed in our FS
here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Backup+Object+Store+Plugin+Framework.
The JIRA ticket to track this feature is:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1975. The work is currently
carried out in feature branch  "object_store".
Please let me know your comments and suggestions.

Thanks
-min