For back compatibility, these APIs:
addSecondaryStorageCmd,addS3Cmd,addSwiftCmd,listS3Cmd,listSwiftCmd, can still
be wired to new code, so this APIs will still work, but we can mark them as
deprecated in the API document.

> How does an upgrade from 4.0/4.1 to 4.2 work with this proposal?
> - what happens to existing SSVMs?
> - if there are multiple SSVMs?
> - current cache-like deployments for S3 and Swift

The existing deployment model will still work.
There are following combinations currently supported by CloudStack:
1. Only NFS as secondary storage. In the new framework, it's NFS as a backup
storage.
2. NFS + swift/S3. In the new framework, it's swift/s3 as backup storage,
while, NFS as cache storage.
So the upgrade code from pre-4.2 to 4.2 needs to handle above cases, migrate DB
properly.

> The SSVM code also does duty for VMWare deployments to aid in data
> movement.

The existing SSVM will still work, it will be renamed to transportation VM in
the code(maybe on the UI, it still be called SSVM). The main functionality of
these VMs are to help transfer data from one place to another.  As you said,
Vmware deployment needs these VMs(as Vmware can't directly download template
into primary storage), and old NFS based secondary storage deployment model
needs them(data copy when cross zone).