My team has been working for three weeks with CloudStack architecture design
and we are struggling to put together a network architecture that we feel will
scale. From everything I can tell, CloudStack requires a a very large layer 2
network when using shared guest networks. We are looking to deploy almost a
thousand physical hosts across 25 cabinets with over 4000 VMs in the next 18
months and having a broadcast domain this large feels problematic.

How have others solved this problem? I don't have a need or a desire for
isolation and even if I had 100 guest networks I would still have to tag their
VLANs into every host port. There doesn't seem to be a way to tie a network to
anything smaller than a zone.

One solution we are looking into is Cisco's 1000v and utilizing VXLANs. This
will allow us scale down the broadcast domains. I don't think CloudStack has
support in configuring their VXLAN settings? Any comments or suggestions would
be appreciated.

Justin