I looked at Security groups and I am not sure how this solves my problems. Sure
it provides guest isolation but that is through the virtual router correct? The
underlying physical network --outside of cloudstack-- is still layer 2? That is
what I am concerned with. When defining what IPs my guests sit on CloudStack
assumes that those are available, or tagged, on every host in my zone. If I
have every host tagged with the guest network then broadcast packets, like ARP,
will hit every box, regardless of whether a VM runs on it at all. My network
engineers are worried that any kind of broadcast storm, or spanning tree loop,
could take the whole cloud down. Does this make sense or am I still missing
something?

What we are looking at is creating a zone per physical rack of servers
implementing the shared network offering. This allows my underlying network to
be layer 3 between cabinets and limits my layer 2 guest traffic to far less
servers. Between cabinets I will use routing for VMs to talk to each other. The
problems this introduces is that CloudStack doesn't let me mount the same
secondary storage for images so I have to replicate that data. It would be nice
to be able to mount the images across all zones but leave the snapshots local
to the zone.

We have been intensively building and rebuilding CloudStack for the last three
weeks and nowhere have I seen the ability to pin a guest subnet to a rack (pod)
of servers. This is what suggests that the guest networks must be tagged on all
physical host ports and why I am concerned about the large layer 2 domain.

Sorry this was long winded some of these concepts are difficult I convey over
email.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone