I'm testing the fix for that now.

Also, this fix revealed an upstream bug in the management server. There is
a path in advanceStart that can allow it to complete and return a null
object without having successfully started the VM. The caller of this
method (the orch service) doesn't care about the output, it relies on this
method throwing an exception if the VM fails to start. The result is that
calling startVirtualMachine can return a good result, but the VM never
started.

In short I'll be filing a second bug soon. I'm testing a fix for this one
as well.

Unfortunately, master doesn't compile for me at the moment, so it's sort of
difficult to test it against that and check them in to make cherry-pick
requests.