On Apr 30, 2013, at 4:59 PM, Chiradeep Vittal <chiradeep.vit...@citrix.com>
wrote:

> On 4/30/13 5:01 AM, "Sebastien Goasguen" <run...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dharmesh, see in-line
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2013, at 5:34 AM, Dharmesh Kakadia <dhkaka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am Dharmesh Kakdia and interested in project "Integration project to
>>> deploy and use Mesos on a CloudStack based cloud" (
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1784)
>>>
>>> I am working on proposal and want to get feedback. Please provide
>>> suggestions :)
>>>
>>> *
>>>
>>> Abstract:
>>>
>>> The project aims to bring cloudformation[1] like service to cloudstack.
>>> One
>>> of the prime use-case is cluster computing frameworks on cloudstack. A
>>> cloudformation service will give users and administrators of cloudstack
>>> ability to manage and control a set of resources easily. The
>>> cloudformation
>>> will allow booting and configuring a set of VMs and form a cluster.
>>> Simple
>>> example would be LAMP stack. More complex clusters such as mesos or
>>> hadoop
>>> cluster requires a little more advanced configuration. There is already
>>> some work done by Chiradeep Vittal at this front [5] using route and
>>
>> it's using ruote: http://ruote.rubyforge.org
>>
>>> sinatra. In this project, I will implement cloudformation service and
>>> demonstrate how to run mesos cluster using it.
>>
>> You will create cloud formation templates that describe a mesos cluster
>>

>>> Mesos:
>>>
>>> Mesos is a resource management platform for clusters [2]. It aims to
>>> increase resource utilization of clusters by sharing cluster resources
>>> among multiple processing frameworks(like MapReduce, MPI, Graph
>>> Processing)
>>> or multiple instances of same framework. It provides efficient resource
>>> isolation through use of containers. Uses zookeeper for state
>>> maintenance
>>> and fault tolerance.
>>>
>>> What can run on mesos ?
>>>
>>> Spark: A cluster computing framework based on the Resilient Distributed
>>> Datasets (RDDs) abstraction. RDD is more generalized than MapReduce and
>>> can
>>> support iterative and interactive computation while retaining fault
>>> tolerance, scalability, data locality etc.
>>>
>>> Hadoop: Hadoop is fault tolerant and scalable distributed computing
>>> framework based on MapReduce abstraction.
>>>
>>> Begel: A graph processing framework based on pregel.
>>>
>>> and other frameworks like MPI, Hypertable.
>>>
>>> How to deploy mesos
>>>
>>> Mesos provides cluster installation scripts [7] for cluster deployment.
>>> There are also scripts available to deploy a cluster on Amazon EC2 [8].
>>
>> It would be nice to see if these scripts can be used as is with the
>> CloudStack EC2 service.
>>

>>> Deliverables:
>>>
>>> 1. Cloudformation service implementation on cloudstack.

> [...]

Dharmesh I suggest you propose the following:

1-Deploy CloudStack and understand instance configuration/contextualization
2-Test and deploy Mesos on a set of CloudStack based VM, manually.
Design/propose an automation framework.
3-Test stackmate and engage chiradeep (report bugs, make suggestion, make pull
request)
4-Create cloud formation template to provision a Mesos Cluster
5-Compare with Apache Whirr or other cluster provisioning tools.
6-Potentially if you see a link with cloudmonkey, see how you could extend it
to talk to stackmate in a similar manner that it talks to CloudStack.

You are pretty close and this is a very exciting projects, so go ahead, modify
a bit your proposal and submit it.

Deadline for applications is this Friday May 3rd.

-sebastien