I like this idea, as long as it is approached carefully. I would prefer
that the beta releases be of failed RC quality than pre-RC phase. I know
these should be at their own risk, take backups, etc, but upgrades are
notorious for schema upgrade failures. Also, helping people update from
beta 1 to RC2 and all of the possible permutations seems like a nightmare
if the database schema/ updates aren't rock solid before the first beta is
cut.