On Tue, May 14, 2013, at 10:59 AM, David Nalley wrote:
> Are you going to support upgrades from your Betas to release (and
> betaN to betaN+1)?
> If the answer is no, then there is no interest on my part. It's not
> better than us producing nightly builds, or highlighting jenkins
> builds.

The problem with the nightly builds is that there's no signal to the
larger community of "OK, seriously - we need you to start testing NOW."
And presenting people with "pick any build" is a losing proposition.

We need to be able to:

1) Signal that we're ready for a larger community to start testing
because - while we know it's not perfect, we also need to find blockers
that we don't already know about.

2) Engage folks who are less connected to the day-to-day development
process and provide a well-defined process and point them at an artifact
we're prepared to see a lot of bug reports against.

3) Promote the process and be ready to help a larger body of community
members who will likely need guidance in filing bugs, etc.

I'm indifferent to upgrades between betas or to production release. I
think it's a nice to have, but I don't anticipate anyone using betas in
production, or even starting a production deployment with a beta.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier