Hi John,

I've put comments below in red.

Thanks!

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM, John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> First and foremost, we must ensure that these two features are mutually
> exclusive in 4.2.  We don't want to find a configuration that contains both
> hypervisor and storage IOPS guarantees that leads to non-deterministic
> operations.

Agreed

> Restricting QoS expression to be either hypervisor or storage oriented
> solves the problem in short term.  As I understand storage tags, we have no
> means of expressing this type of mutual exclusion.  I wasn't necessarily
> intending that we implement this allocation model in 4.3, but instead,
> determine if this type model would be one we would want to support in the
> future.  If so, I would encourage us to ensure that the data model and
> current implementation would not preclude evolution in that direction.  My
> view is that this type of allocation model is what user's expect of "cloud"
> systems -- selecting the best available resource set to fulfill  a set of
> system requirements.

I believe we have meet your requirement here in that what we've implemented
should not make refinement difficult in the future. If we don't modify
allocators for 4.2, but we do for 4.3, we've made relatively simple changes
to enhance the current functioning of the system.

> As I think through the implications of these requirements and reflect on
> the reviews, I don't understand why they haven't already impacted the
> allocators and planners.  As it stands, the current provisioned IOPS has no
> checks to ensure that the volumes are allocated to devices that have
> capacity to fulfill the requested QoS.  Therefore, as I understand the
> current patch, we can overcommit storage resources -- potentially causing
> none of the QoS obligations from being fulfilled.  It seems to me that a
> DataStore supporting provisioned IOPS should express the maximum IOPS which
> it can support and some type of overcommitment factor.  This information
> should be used by the storage allocators to determine the device best able
> to support the resources needs of a volume.  It seems that a similar set of
> considerations would need to be added to the Hypervisor layer which
> allocating a VM to a host to prevent oversubscription.

Yeah, for this first release, we just followed the path that was previously
established for other properties you see on dialogs in CS: Just because
they're there doesn't mean the vendor your VM is deployed to supports them.
It is then up to the admin to make sure he inputs, say, a storage tag that
confines the deployment only to storage that supports the selected
features. This is not ideal, but it's kind of the way CloudStack works
today.

> Another question occurs to me -- should we allow non-QoS resources to be
> assigned to hosts/storage devices that ensure QoS?  For provisioned IOPS, I
> think a side effect of the current implementation is SolidFire volumes
> always have a QoS.  However, for hypervisor throttled I/O, it seems
> entirely possible for non-QoS VMs to allocated side-by-side with QoS VMs.
>  In this scenario, a greedy, unbounded VM could potentially starve out the
> other VMs on the host -- preventing the QoSes defined the collocated VMs
> from being fulfilled.

You can make SolidFire volumes (inside and outside of CS) and not specify
IOPS. You'll still get guaranteed IOPS, but it will be at the defaults we
choose. Unless you over-provision IOPS on a SolidFire SAN, you will have
your Mins met.

It sounds like you're perhaps looking for a storage tags exclusions list,
which might be nice to have at some point (i.e. don't deploy my volume to
storage with these following tags).

I agree with your assessment of Hypervisor QoS. Since it only limits IOPS,
it does not solve the Noisy Neighbor problem. Only a system with guaranteed
minimum IOPS does this.

> In my opinion,  we need to ensure that hypervisor throttled I/O and
> storage provisioned IOPS are mutually exclusive per volume.

Agreed

> We also need to understand the implications of these QoS guarantees on
> operation of the system to ensure that the underlying hardware resources
> can fulfill them.  Given the time frame, we will likely be forced to make
> compromises to achieve these goals, and refine the implementation in 4.3.

I agree, John. I also think you've come up with some great ideas for 4.3. :)