+1 to use code name during dev cycles and name the version for GA release for
reasons outlined by John B. When querying metrics also would help to identify
which defects are logged pre release and which came in post release i.e GA.

-----Original Message-----
From: John Burwell [mailto:jburw...@basho.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:13 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: In-Development Release Naming

Sebastien,

Actually, you are completely correct.  When we cut a release branch, we know
the scope of change and can apply of the semantic versioning rules to service
the correct version number (i.e. whether to increment x, y, or z).  However, we
have a 4 month period of development on feature releases when we are
communicating about our work, but don't yet know whether the changes will
require incrementing x or y.  For that period of time I am proposing that we
use a code name.  When we freeze, we evaluate the change and determine the
version number.  From that point on the release will referred to as either the
codename or the release number.  I think it would make sense in version strings
that we display releases as x.y.z (codename) to help people correlate the
development period with the eventual release number.

Thanks,
-John