On Tue, Jul 16, 2013, at 08:02 AM, Donal Lafferty wrote:
> Can we loosen/ignore this rule when readability becomes an issue?

Alex raised this issue last week:

http://markmail.org/message/z2hzz7efujgmhfnh

I didn't see many responses to that particular part of his email,
though.

Personally, I think arbitrary maxlength at any column width is a PITA -
but I spend most of my time looking at XML with prose rather than
Java...

I'd support a longer line length or keeping the 80 character limit, but
I think it should be changed across the board if we change it. (i.e.,
not just for "some" files.)

(This StackOverflow discussion might be worthwhile reading before making
a decision:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/903754/do-you-still-limit-line-length-in-code)

Best,

jzb