Fair points, thanks for the input.

Cheers
Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl.INVALID>
Sent: Thursday, June 6, 2024 4:38 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org; Wei ZHOU <ustcweiz...@gmail.com>
Cc: Wei Zhou <wei.z...@shapeblue.com>; Abhisar Sinha
<abhisar.si...@shapeblue.com>; us...@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Storage Filesystem as a First Class Feature

Op 06/06/2024 om 11:26 schreef Wei ZHOU:
>> @Wei Zhou If the network into which the StorageVM runs IPv6 (as per your
>> implementation of IPv6) it should automatically get an IPv6 IP, correct?
>
> yes,it should get Ipv6 addr advertised by cloudstack VR. @Alexblue.com
> we need to make sure IPv6 is enabled in the storagefs vm (Ipv6 is
> disabled by default in systemvm template as far as I know), and proper
> firewall rules are applied.

Don't forget that you also need to make sure that your NFS /etc/exports file
contains the IPv6 addresses of VMs who want to mount it. Otherwise it still
doesn't work.

>> @Wido den Hollander @Wei ZhouHow much effort do you guys thing it would it
>> take to add support to VirtioFS?  I'm not super aware of it, what would the
>> benefits be? (I've quickly looked at Wido's links, but I rather get info
>> from you guys directly).
> I see the benefits . However I do not know a strong use case of it.
> maybe @wido can advise ?

I haven't used it before because the support in Qemu + Libvirt is fairly new.
The main benefit is that the end-user never has access to the NAS or storage
network. The VM doesn't know if it's NFS or CephFS underneath, it simply has a
filesystem. This takes away a lot of configuration inside the VM or needed
software (CephFS drivers).

It adds additional security since the VM doesn't need to be able to talk to the
storage device(s), only the hypervisors do this.

In the future Virtio-FS maybe gets support for rate limiting or other features.
I personally think this is the way forward.

I would at least make sure it's understood that it exists and the code already
takes this into account without making it a proper implementation from day one.

You would need to mount the FS on the hypervisor and then re-export it to the
VM. This requires hooks to be executed for example.

Wido