I also found one reason for the "random" failures.

Jenkins does a reset of the git tree for each new build, but doesn't clean the
workspace. So if a patch actually adds a file, that file will remain in the
working directory. If that file contains a compilation error or is a testcase,
it will cause the new build to fail. It's fixed by setting the advanced git
option to run a clean -fdn after getting the latest checkout.

Cheers,

Hugo