On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM, Jayapal Reddy Uradi
<jayapalreddy.ur...@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently in virtual router there is no way to recover and notify if some
> service goes down unexpectedly.
>
> This feature is about monitoring all the services rendered by the virtual
> router, ensure that the services are running through the life time of the VR.
>
> On service failure:
> 1. Generate an alert and event indicating failure
> 2. Restart the service
>
> Services to be monitored:
> DHCP, DNS, haproxy, password server etc.
>
> As part of monitoring there are two activities
>
> 1. One is monitoring the services in VR and log the events. Using monit for
> monitoring services
> 2. Second part is pushing alerts from router to  MS server. Thinking on POST
> the logs to web server in MS.
>
> I will be updating more details and FS in this thread.
>
> I created enhancement bug for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Jayapal

So several things - why not make this via SNMP? Query processes, and
many other things. This should be relatively simple, is well known,
can be locked down (or could be monitored for many other things by
external monitoring packages) and is the defacto standard for
monitoring hosts.
Second - monit is Affero GPL licensed - which is a cat-x license.
While I expect that we would merely use this and not do any hacking on
it - I think its inclusion might be a surprise (and forbidden in many
environments) to our users

--David